|Please note the deadline!|
The deadline for applying for a grant from the social fund is either the re-registration deadline (for students who are re-registering), or six weeks after enrollment (for first-year students).
The deadline for the winter semester 2019/20 is 29th of July.
To apply, use the following form:
- Application for a grant from the social fund for a Semesterticket (PDF file in German)
- Application for a grant from the social fund for a Semesterticket (PDF file in English)
- Explanations regarding the Application for a grant from the social fund for a Semesterticket (PDF file in English)
If you find yourself in financial difficulties and cannot pay the fee for the Semesterticket, you might be eligible for a grant. However, this process is independent from the re-registration process. You must first pay the fee, after which you will receive your student ID card that you can use for public transport. If your application is approved, you will be reimbursed for either some or possibly all of the Semesterticket costs.
To obtain a grant, you must submit proof of the following:
- a social hardship that prevents you from paying the fee
- a monthly income which does not exceed your basic needs
- and no savings or assets
A social hardship can be:
- writing your final thesis
- an unpaid or low-paying internship
- a restricted work permit for international students
- being a single parent
- a costly diet necessary because of disability or illness
- a reduction in earning capacity
- integration grant ('Eingliederungshilfe') in case of a disability
- at least one of your children receives the job-seeker's allowance ALG II
- a particularly low income
- high costs for medical treatment
- costs for paying off loans or debt
The amount of the grant depends not only on your stated circumstances, but also on the number of applications and the funds available. The more students receiving a social grant, the lower the individual amount! The relation between income and need, the length of time that the social hardship lasts, and the total sum of financial obligations are all taken into consideration. If you are planning to apply, always visit the Semesterticket Office beforehand for advice. We are here exactly for this purpose, to help you in such cases. We can answer questions in advance and thus potentially shorten the time for processing your application. You can find the statutes of the social fund here (in German).