|Please note the deadline!|
|The time period for applications for grants from the social fund ends with re-registration (for students who re-register), or two weeks after re-registration (for first-year students). The deadline for the summer semester 2017 is 31th of March 2017.
You will need the following form:
- Application for a grant from the social fund for a Semesterticket (PDF file in German)
- Application for a grant from the social fund for a Semesterticket (PDF file in English)
- Explanations regarding the Application for a grant from the social fund for a Semesterticket (PDF file in English)
If you find yourself in financial difficulties and cannot pay the Semesterticket, you might be elgible for a grant. However, this process is independent from the normal re-registration, which means you will have to pay first and receive the usual student ID card, which can be used for public transport. If your application is successful, you will be reimbursed for a part, or possibly all of the Semesterticket costs.
To obtain a grant, you have to meet all of the following requirements:
- a social hardship that keeps you from paying the contribution
- a monthly income which does not exceed your basic needs
- and no savings or wealth.
A 'social hardship' might encompass:
- writing your final thesis
- an unpaid, or only low-pay internship
- a restricted work permit for international students
- being a single-parent
- a costly diet necessary because of disability or illness
- a reduction in earning capacity
- integration grant ('Eingliederungshilfe') in case of a disability
- at least one of your children receives the job-seeker's allowance ALG II
- a specifically low income
- high costs for medical treatment
- costs for paying off loans, or debt
The amount of money granted depends not only on your stated circumstances, but also on the number of successful applications and the funds available. The more students receive a social grant, the lower is the individual amount! The relation between income and need, the length of time that the social hardship lasts, and the total sum of the financial obligations are all taken into consideration. If you are planning to apply, always visit the Semesterticket Office beforehand for advice. To help you in such cases is just what we are there for. We can answer questions in advance and shorten the time for processing. You can find the statues of the social fund here (in German).